Year in Review
As the calendar gets ready to flip to a new year, I figured an overdue blog post was in order. The last time I updated was in May as I was processing my father's death. Truth be told, I am still processing, and I understand it may take awhile for my heart to heal.
Grief comes in waves. It hits in the weirdest moments and even eight months later, finds me most often at night. The tears fall quietly on my pillow as I realize that I will never get to hug or talk to my dad this side of heaven. I catch myself wanting to call him and tell him about what is happening. He would have loved to hear about the time Joy was invited to picnic at Wrigley Field thanks to the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation. And hearing his grandsons play the trumpet and trombone? He would have smiled ear-to-ear during their holiday performances.
Our family has gone through our first Thanksgiving and Christmas without him. That was hard. I was talking to my sister-in-law on Christmas Eve and we were just lamenting on how everything seems to be changing---in the world and in our personal lives.
Change. So.much.change.
I came across this prayer by author Ruth Schwenk yesterday. It goes like this:
Lord, I pray for the woman reading this right now who is struggling with change. Remind her that there is nothing in her life that You aren't working through. Give her peace that although she may not see it now, You have a good plan for her and she can trust You. You will come through for her and redeem what feels lost. Cover her with Your grace and be ever near to her tonight, Lord. Amen.
"Redeem what feels lost."
That part.
Cancer and sickness have stolen so much from us in 2021. Chemotherapy stole my daughter's hair. Leukemia is essentially stealing these precious, adorable preschool years from her where she has to worry about things no child should have to think about. Parkinson's disease stole my dad's ability to walk, and death ultimately stole him from us. Covid-19 has stolen my son's 8th grade year and graduation and honestly, so many other moments.
But as we say goodbye to 2021 and all that it's taken and all that has changed, I still want to remember the parts of the year that have felt redemptive.
Because I do believe God is working, and I do believe He is redeeming what's been lost.
So here are some pictures of the memorable moments of 2021 that have actually caused more smiles than heartache--more laughter--than crying. As I was going through these photos and reflecting on the last year, gratitude started filling my soul.
Thank you for all of the big and small ways you are seeing us through this difficult season of life.
I wish each one of you a happy and healthy 2022!


Comments
Post a Comment